Shimla

A Guide to Shimla: Tips on Vacation, Places, and Accommodation

About the Guest Author:

Mohuya is a passionate traveler and blogger from Kolkata, India. Mohuya’s posts have earned her more viewership of late. It’s her queer way of captivating the imagination of an inquisitive reader that has earned her such critical acclaim. Every minute detailing with which she shares her experiences is bound to grab your attention and set your mood for the right destination.

You may read other Mohuya’s travel tales at Couponsji

Mohuya over to you:

Shimla is a major tourist hotspot situated in Northern India and is the capital city of Himachal Pradesh. During the British Colonial rule, it was the summer capital of India. This hill station is truly charming amid its dense forests and hills.

The proximity of Deodar and Pine trees has made this area immensely beautiful. The height of the city varies between 300 and 2200 metres.

Shimla seemed to be an ideal destination for us as we took an afternoon stroll by the busy Mall Road in the heart of the township. A few important places that we visited include the Gaiety Theatre, Jakhoo Temple, Scandal Point, The Annandale Ground, Christ Church, The Annandale Ground, The Ridge, Sankat Mochan Temple, and Kali Bari Temple.  Jakhu Temple is situated on the highest peak of Shimla and we choose to ride a yak for fun once we reached this point.

Shimla
One of the best temple at Shimla
Shimla
Sankat Mochan Hanuman temple
Shimla
The famous Christ Church of Shimla

The ideal time for a car trip from Delhi:

We had to acquire more knowledge on the climatic and road conditions before taking the plunge. You’re advised not to visit this place during the monsoon season (i.e. between the months of July and September) due to the risk of mountain hazards like landslides. Our favorite time to visit Shimla is between the months of April and June when the road conditions are less risky. The summer months will show you lesser space for parking. Instead of booking cabs, we mostly choose to drive a rental car from Delhi.

Travel options to choose from:

Depending on your preference, you may choose to ride on a luxury car or an economy one with lower fuel consumption.  You may choose to opt for a service that ensures cars with all advanced safety features besides modern amenities. We opted for a car ride as we preferred comfort, convenience, and safety over other important factors. Booking a rental car for traveling from Delhi to Shimla has always been easier ever since we explored few of the latest Zoomcar offers.

Few interesting places that we checked on our way from Delhi:

Naldhera has its own scenic beauty and a huge golf course.

Mashobra seemed good for bird-watching, but you may even take part in adventurous activities like camping, trekking, and paragliding.

Kufri has a national park. We found a few horse riders making their way up to a nearby peak.

Shimla
Kufri

Fagu Valley is all about serenity and it will trigger that ecstatic mood if you’re a true nature lover.

Tattapani caught our attention due to its caves and hot water spring.

Manikaran is a place that we came across while visiting the Parvati valley. It stands on the banks of river Parvati, which is some 40 km away from Bhuntar – a place that has earned much fame due to its hot springs besides a temple and Gurudwara.

Shimla
Manikarni

Kasol– the weather conditions and the natural surrounding seemed very pleasing for most of us. You won’t mind taking a few snapshots while visiting this small village situated banks of Parvati River.

Few Good Staying Options:

We had our room booked in advance at the Hotel Silverline. However, you may choose to explore a few other staying options like the Marigold Sarovar Portico and the Radisson Jass Hotel.

You’ll find competitive rates for both hotels and home-stays besides experiencing quality cab service all the year round. Traveling anywhere within the Shimla district seems to be enjoyable regardless of whether you’re on a business tour or on a holiday trip.

It’s natural for you to plan your trip and make your travel arrangements in advance. For this, you’ll need to be more organized if you really wish to avoid all hassles during the course of your trip.

Thank you so much Mohuya for writing a guest post on Shimla…

Just visit the page Guest Posts and write for Roadaviator.

1. Middle Eats

This looks amazing, I’ll have to add Shimla to my plan for our next road trip! I can’t wait!

2. HowToDiyEmpire (@HowToDiyEmpire)

Haha, ”kufri” is a slang word for a group of suitcases in my language.
    I’d love to visit Kufri, though

3. The Inspiration Edit (@Inspire_Edit)

Such an Interesting article and I love to read more about this so glad that you share this

4. Via Bella

The snow would be great esp with the extreme heat we have had recently. LOL. Love the beautiful buildings too- so much detail.

5. angie

I have learned so much from bloggers who share about what is important to them Thank you for being one of those fascinating bloggers

6. arcasela

India is definitely on my travel bucket list! Cannot wait to get a chance to visit there myself and explore all the beautiful sites. This place looks beautiful too, will keep it for future reference!

7. Aditi

It’s a shame I haven’t been to Shimla or Kufri. This post from Mohuya is a very informative one for anyone planning for Shimla. I will try to visit Shimla on this trip. 🙂

8. helerinablogs

The temples are so pretty, I love their brightly coloured roofs and points. The Christ church is a stunning building too. It sounds well worth a trip from Delhi, especially if you can stop off at so many other places along the way too.

9. kalliamanika

India looks like such an interesting place to visit! Just from a cultural point of view it is so rich! Thank you for sharing this, hopefully someday I get to visit!

10. Joanna

Shimla looks like a great place to visit, especially because it is reachable from Delhi as well. It’s great to rent a car because you can stop on the way and do all those great things, like horseriding or going to the hot springs.

11. TooChineseForU

The world really wants me to go to India. Well I have been dying to go and I just keep bumping into India posts! Lovely and Informative article about Shimla and I enjoyed her photos!

Thank you for sharing!

1. Mohuya Dey

Yaa, you should definitely visit India, it’s a great place to be. Thanks for enjoying my post.

12. Sreekar Harinatha

Your posts are awesome as usual mate. Great pics to boot too!

13. Alexandra

Very informative post, never heard of this place before but looks amazing.

14. Jhilmil

Whatever it may be, I’ve loved visiting Shimla for the nearness to Delhi and yes freshness in the air that I feel when M there!

15. Mal IntoTheCity

That’s a lovely post, very informative indeed! Unfortunately, I’m not going to India anytime soon, the more I appreciate you taking me on the virtual trip! x

16. Ana De-Jesus

I have really got into travel this year so I keep adding places to my bucket list haha! A great guest post from Mohuya and Kufri looks beautiful, I have wanted to go to India for quite some time x

17. Joline

Is that snow in that picture of Kufri? I didn’t realize it snowed in India! How interesting.

18. Laura Dove

Another great guide, and somewhere else I would love to be fortunate enough to visit one day! Really interesting!

19. simplysensationalfood

Shimla looks absolutely beautiful and I would love to visit it one day. I am compiling all the places I would like to visit in India, bookmarking this post for future ref.

20. Familyearthtrek

We were three month in India but we never went there…instead we went to Amritzar. After reading your post I wish we made some time for Shimla. Hopefully next time!❤️

21. Starharford

This place looks awesome! I would absolutely love to visit here. Thankyou for sharing

22. dunja kacarevic

Thanks, it’s such an insightful article 🙂 I wish I could visit this place 🙂

23. arra odeza (@acodeza)

Wow! India definitely has so much to offer. Do they also have winter season? I’m not sure if I am seeing it right? The Kufri picture looks like a snowy place

24. Ziya

Thanks you so much..

25. Arindam Chanda

Wow great article I got best information about HP, India.

26. Karan

Nice photos

Thanks Karan..thanks a lot!! I’ll Mohuya know about it.