charming Jaipur

Charming Jaipur: Jaipur Guide Part 3

I don’t know how to express my gratitude to Jaipur and I don’t remember when exactly I fall in love with Jaipur city. During my graduation period I never knew how remarkable Jaipur can be, how charming Jaipur can be. But when I finally say hello to traveling Jaipur I got to experience some extraordinary sites, heritage and history. My whole trip went on for 4-5 days of travel from which my first 2 blogs have covered the first 2 days of my Jaipur visit. If you haven’t seen those blogs, just go through the links: Instagramming Amer fort and Local points of Jaipur. In this blog I have few more charms of Jaipur.

There are three major forts in Jaipur: Nahargarh fort, Amer fort and Jaigarh fort. Every fort has it’s own specialty, it’s own history but one thing remain same and that is the culture, royalty and architecture.

So let’s start our 3rd Day tour…

Nahargarh Fort: The charming castle

I started my trip at 9:00AM. I took buses, auto-rickshaw and even walk few kilometers with water-bottles and lemon juices in hand and cap to safe my head from direct sun. As the summer is much more severe in Jaipur, you have to these with you self if you don’t have bike or something to travel.

When I started my journey to the castle shaped Nahargarh fort, I keep on asking people sitting with me in bus and auto about “what is so special about the fort?” Everyone has the same words: “If you want to see the Charm of Jaipur then go to Nahargarh fort.” Consequently, people in their own way said to me, “the grandeur of Nahargarh fort will capture your soul.

Charming Jaipur
Nahargarh fort close up
Charming Jaipur
Jaipur city view from the top of Nahargarh fort

Finally I reached at Nahargarh. I still remember different views of Nahargarh fort from Hawa Mahal, Amer fort and from other places. But in reality when you reach at the top of Nahargarh fort, there is something more astonishing. It is the view of Jaipur from Nahargarh fort. The fort bestow the most beautiful panoramic shots of Jaipur. In-fact, the comprehensive grandeur of Jaipur will make you impotent in front of it.

History of Nahargarh fort:

The fort was built by Maharaja Sawai Jai Singh in 1734 CE and then renovated and further extended by Sawai Ram Singh in 1868. It is situated on the edge of Aravali Hills and probably that’s why, Jaipur city is guarded by Nahargarh fort. Some of the localities call it as the “adobe of tigers”. As the reign went on the Maharaja Sawai Madho Singh has developed many palaces inside the fort and further in Jaipur during the time of 1880-1922 AD.

charming jaipur
History of main attraction Madhavendra Palace

The main attraction of the fort is Madhavendra palace. Inside the palace, 9 apartments are there with identical rooms, lobby, kitchens etc. and all the apartments are double storied. It was build by Sawai Madho Singh for the British queens. Furthermore, the fort is guarded by number of cannons.

charming jaipur
Mesmerizing top view of Madhavendra Palace
charming jaipur
Fort boundary with Jaipur city view

Visiting time for Nahargarh fort is 10:00AM to 5:30PM.
Entrance fees: Indian: Rs. 20/- and for foreigners Rs. 50/-

It took me 2-3 2:30 hrs to explore Nahargarh fort completely. Next thing is the newly made wax museum established near it, which I found more expensive. So I just skipped it. All and all, Nahargarh has every aspect to please you and if you want to relax, there is a restaurant and cafeteria giving you a vibrant ambiance. But, one thing I’ve noticed when I was here; Nahargarh fort receives quite less people as compared to Amer fort. Hence, I could peruse every nook and corner of the fort quite easily. All of the above, it is a great place to hangout/night-out with friends.

charming Jaipur
Wax museum at Nahargarh Fort

Few facts about the fort:

• This fort is never conquered; more specifically it is never attacked. So the cannons were never used.
  • The great robust fort of Nahargarh fort is extended or joined with Jaigarh fort wall and the Amer fort. In-fact, the wall is seen from space also.
  • One last thing, the roadway to Nahargarh is surrounded by biological park spread over around 7 sq. kms. Nahargrah sanctuary is also present which is spread over the distance of 50 sq. km.

In addition to that, various scenes from blockbuster movie “Rang-de-Basanti” are shot here. The famous song “masti ki pathshala” was shot in the fort.

This is the well where Masti ki Pathshaala was shot

Jaigarh fort: The victory fort

After my visit to Nahargarh fort, I headed up to “Cheel ka Teela” hill where Jaigarh fort was established. The Jaigarh fort is much more calm and serene then Nahargarh fort. But one thing is more shocking for me, and that is its structure. Beside the calmness, the structure was very complex having a long-stretched never-ending red sandstone walls, perfectly covering hills of Amer. So, these walls are the reason behind the name “Cheel ka Teela” or Hills of eagles.

charming jaipur
Unending walls of Jaigarh fort
charming Jaipur
Red walls of eternal Jaigarh fort

History of Jaigarh fort: (Victory fort)

Jaigarh was built by Sawai Jai Singh II in 18th century. Its architectural design is quite similar to Amer fort but the main reason behind this fort is to safe-guard or Amer fort. For this reason, the length and width of wall is stretched to kilometers, covering Amer fort. Moreover, you’ll find a secret way below the fort through the walls which directs you towards the Nahargarh fort and Amer fort. By the way it is closed now.

During the reign of Sawai Jai Singh II and later Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan, Jaigarh fort is the main center of artillery production. In-fact, Jaigarh’s cannon foundry is considered to be the finest foundry in the world. Moreover, the fort houses world’s largest cannon ‘Jaivana’.

charming jaipur
Jaigarh fort on Cheel ka Teela
charming jaipur
Jaivana – The world’s largest cannon

The remains of cannon foundry are still present here and they are converted into museum. You’ll found arms and artillery, vintage photographs of royal families, swords, shields and cannon balls there in the museum. All these things are attracting more and more tourists every year.

charming Jaipur
View of cannon foundry museum
View of cannon balls
Truly speaking, there are lot of things to tell you about the fort, and everything is connected in the shape of maze:
  • Main residences of Jaigarh fort are Lakshmi villas, Lalit mandir, Aaram mandir and lots of gardens.
  • The presence of largest water tank storing about 6 million gallons of water, which is the jewel of Jaigarh. I think it still supplies water to Jaipur city.
  • The government of India have recreated the sculptures of royal family showing various activities of the family.

So, if you are alone, you may get lost there. In the similar way, I’m still confused, whether I’ve seen the fort completely or not.

Charming Jaipur
View of Amer fort with Jaipur city behind
charming jaipur
Palaces at Jaigarh fort

So, finally I’ve spend almost whole day in exploring the walls of Nahargarh and Jaigarh fort, and now its time to to return back and visit Man Sagar Lake where one more gem of charming Jaipur is present.

Man Sagar Lake and Jal Mahal

If you go to Amer fort you’ll came across the Man Sagar Lake. Similarly if you go to Jaigarh or Nahargarh, you’ll see Man Sagar lake from the above of the hill.  This Man Sagar Lake has the precious structure standing or floating in between and that is “Jal Mahal”. Yes you read it correct Jal Mahal or “water palace” where I finally reached. The auto-rickshaw left me in front of Pani-puri and lemon soda stall. And you now, as an Indian I had to taste it. Haha..

This is how Jal Mahal looks like…

charming Jaipur
stunning view of Jal Mahal

I remember Jal Mahal even before my trip – I remember the words “you are not allowed to go inside Jal Mahal”. I still wants to confirm it and I keep on asking… Are you serious, we are not allowed to go there?How can I reach there? What is it inside it? But I know the answer, “nobody is allowed to go there and nobody has ever gone there”. This was quite frustrating for me since no one knows what is in there or why anyone can’t go there.

Interesting facts I got to know:

• Jal Mahal is a 5 storied palace built in 18th century . It was the time when water was not there or it dried up.
  • Now its 4 floors are submerged in Lake, but since the palace is made up of stone water never had seeped inside the palace.
  • I have read, Jal Mahal has beautiful gardens like: Chameli Bagh and Badal Mahal. Also Jal Mahal has lofty interior deisgn which we seriously miss.
  • The palace is also known for many migrating birds.

All of the above, you can get only the glimpse of Jal Mahal and migrating birds. Beside the glimpse of Jal Mahal, there are stalls selling toys, handicrafts etc.. So it is good place to relax.

charming Jaipur
Camera settings to click flowers
charming Jaipur
Migrating birds sitting at one of the structure
charming jaipur
This bird looks amazing

Travel tip at Jal Mahal:

• 1 hour is enough to spend at Jal Mahal.
  • There isn’t much to do at Jal Mahal, but you can buy handicrafts, jewelry and also you can wear Rajasthani cloths and click photograph in those.
  • Camel ride and sometimes elephant ride is the entertainment option at Jal Mahal.
  • Night is quite glittering at Jal Mahal, lighting on palace and shops are soothing.
charming Jaipur
Glittering toys selling at shops near Jal Mahal
charming Jaipur
This one is Rajasthan special – at Jal Mahal

After all my trip has reached its end, there is one observation which I’ve made. Whether the life this charming Jaipur is quite hustle-bustle and whether the traffic is more chaotic, there are certain places which are serene and quiet. These places actually makes Jaipur more charming.

Hence, charming Jaipur has a lot of things to do and to see which required at-least a week to travel…

I’m totally tired while traveling and also my camera has done really a nice job.

Till then follow me on facebook and instagram. Tweet me at twitter and comment your thoughts below.

1. Kristine Nicole Alessandra

Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos! The Nahargarh Fort is so grandiose! I would love to be there sometime. The views are fantastic!

Seriously, Nahargarh is fantastic! Thanks a lot for your comment Kristine!

2. den

What a detailed account of your time in Jaipur. This is the first time I’ve heard of it but it really mesmerized me. Now it is on my must see list.

Then I think, I have done my work! You got to know about a new place. Thanks for your comment Den!

3. Vijay Vellaisamy

Great post. Jaipur is one of best place in India. I can feel how much you love the city. Thanks for sharing.

And thanks for sharing your views! Thanks Vijay!!

4. Yeu Doi

Jaipur is indeed very charming. It’s on my my bucket list now!

Great! You’ll enjoy it, Yeu Doi!

5. Yukti

Beautiful post with detailed description on Jaipur. Loved those Jaigarh fort pictures and the scene of Masti kee pathshaala is also stunning.

Thanks Yukti! Hope you enjoyed my post very well!

6. suchi

Jaipur is beautiful…lovely captures…made me wanna go back there…

Thanks Suchi! Love to hear that.

7. Claire (@clairebeary94)

I really like the architecture design of these buildings. It’s really interesting. That’s why I love traveling since you see new things!

Seriously, if you consider architecture of Jaipur, it is one of the best. Yes, just because of these things I’m too fond of traveling. It teaches us so many things..!

8. Ellie Chan

oh Wow! What a magical looking place! Jal Mahal looks amazing! I love vacations where there is History and ruins to explore instead of just sitting by a pool all day!

Ellie | http://www.scotchandstilettos.com

Thanks Ellie Chan! Thanks for liking it.

9. margarette

Honestly, am not so good in Geography so I have to stop and search where Jaipur is. Seeing the pics feels like someone is tour-guiding me. I definitely love the place. Thanks to you.

Thanks a lot for such a valuable comment Margarette!! I’m glad you like it.

10. Joanna

When I visited jaipur, a few years ago, the owner of the hotel offered to take us to a hike towards Nahargarh fort. Unfortunately we were very tired and our guide decided that it might not be a good idea to wake up at 5 and go on a hike for which we were not insured. I wish I did though, as it looks so beautiful! I was also impressed by Jal Mahal, finding out how deep it actually goes in the water.

Love to hear that you have visited Jaipur once. Bad to hear that couldn’t visit Nahargarh! I think what you could have done: you could have stayed up there at Nahargarh for a night! It looks much more amazing in night. I think you too had a great experience out at Jaipur!
      Thanks a lot Joanna for sharing your views.

11. Sierra

I had never heard of Jaipur before but from your post it sounds like you had an amazing trip! Your pictures are absolutely stunning

Thanks a lot Sierra, for liking my photographs! Truly, it was a photographic tour.

12. toastycritic

These are all very cool forts that are here. I would love to visit sometime. I know I can’t see the one that is submerged but it’s pretty amazing that the water that ended up there didn’t do damage to it with four stories submerged.

Haan, you are right! It is just like a miracle!! Not damaging the building at all, infact, some local says that the inside this palace, walls are full of gems!!

13. Sandy Dobbs

What a fascinating spot of history. I used to teach high school World Geography and my students loved researching places like this. I can’t imagine having to haul water up 5 stories for anything at the top!

Seriously you are a geography teacher! Good to hear that! It is the best feeling, to seeing those things which we can’t even imagine exists! Thanks Sandy! Someday make a visit with your students to see such 5 storied buildings.

14. lex

good timing, good destination, following the rich history it would be amazing and such a wonderful experience to visit and feel this first hand. amazing pictures too i see here and the faces i see are all happy showing the fun and excitement therein.

Ohh, You got me!! You got this destination! Thanks Lex! Hope to see you at Jaipur soon.

15. aniahalama

I would love to visit here sometie. Looks like such an intersting place to go. Love how you describe it too. I’d love to try the food there too.

Definitely it an interesting place! And the food is just like icing on the cake. Surely, you’ll enjoy it!

16. The Belly Rules The Mind

Prateek I have’t been to Jaipur but love the food and shopping scene. Have friends who often visit Jaipur and always bring these colorful Leheriyas and Kachoris.

That’s nice! Wow, so you like colorful Leheriya and kachoris; that’s great! Thanks a lot!!

17. NM (@nmdiariesx)

Jaipur looks absolutely beautiful! Even in all the bollywood movies that I have watched Jaipur has always been my most favourite location! I can’t wait to finally visit it one day!

Thank you so much for liking it! Absolutely, you’ll visit Jaipur in your next trip (optimistically).

18. sj

loved to see Jaipur through your camera 🙂 being a Jaipurite its really awesome to see blogs on Jaipur !

Ohh! I’m glad you like it! It always make me feel wonderful to explore somebody’s city and that person likes my work…!

19. Ana De-Jesus

Jal Mahal is beautiful but I like how you said about staying one hour maximum. You wouldn’t want the magic to wear off so that is just enough time to explore the grounds and buy some souvenirs!

Haha right Ana! Magic is not enough at all! So explore grounds and buy souvenir!

20. Sam

Nice information about Jaipur. This city is very attractive and historical.

Thanks a lot Sam! I hope you enjoyed it.

21. soulsensecoaching

Too funny how frustrating it is when you are told you can’t go to a place! Suddenly it becomes the thing you want most to do i

Haha You are right!! Your mind wants to explore but it is not possible! Still think someday we all can visit it.

22. Laima Mikelsone

It looks so, so beautiful!! I hope I get to go there sometime, I love traveling to new places.

And I’m sure you’ll like it a lot Laima!! This place will not disappoint you…

23. chelf

wow the views are majestic! Chaotic yet so peaceful at the same time!

Yes you are right Chelf!! chaotic and peaceful both goes parallel to each other here at Jaipur.

24. Amalia

This a really good guide of Jaipur. I have India on my list and this will be so handy for my trip, X

Thanks a lot for liking this guide! Hope you’ve enjoyed it and will consider it for your India trip in future. Thanks Amalia!

25. marinablueeyes

Jaipur is one of the places I wish to visit once. Maybe it will happen. These pictures are amazing and I hope you had a great time.

Thanks a lot Marina for liking my photos!! Yes, I had a great time. I wish you could be able to visit Jaipur soon.

26. Sona Jain

I am from Rajasthan and I didnot know that masti Ki pathshala was shot in Jaipur. That place looks so gorgeous! I will definitely make a visit to this fort as I have never been there before.

Yes, Masti ki Pathshala was shot here in Jaipur!! Thanks for liking it Sona.

27. higher education degree

higher education degree

hello!,I love your writing so a lot! percentage we keep up a correspondence extra approximately your article on AOL? I require an expert on this house to solve my problem. Maybe that is you! Taking a look ahead to look you.

28. online education

online education

Appreciate this post. Let me try it out.

29. special education

special education

Simply wish to say your article is as astonishing. The clarity in your post is just excellent and i could assume you’re an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a m…

Ohh Thanks a lot!!! I’m glad you like it.

30. learning styles

learning styles

Hi there, I enjoy reading all of your article. I wanted to write a little comment to support you.

Thanks for liking my articles!! Yes please you are most welcome, you can write anything….

31. education school

education school

Do you have a spam issue on this blog; I also am a blogger, and I was curious about your situation; we have created some nice practices and we are looking to trade techniques with other folks, why not shoot me an e-mail if interested.

Yes you are write I’ve an issue with spam on my blog!! Please suggest me for this! Please check you email..