Thajiwas

Sonmarg: The Meadow of Gold

The beauty of Kashmir has never been in doubt, an amazing destination that never disappoints you. I first came here two years back, where my trip started with sailing on still waters of the tranquil Dal Lake, Srinagar.

Dal Lake so fascinating, charming and spread with lotus and lilies as far as the eyes can see, the smell of tranquil water is so captivating that it aroused spirituality in me. The same has happened with me also during my stay on Dal Lake. I spent a whole day sailing in Shikara, shopping in floating market and staying in houseboat for a night. Just have a look at “Experience houseboat and Shikara” to taste my magnificent experience.

I was surfing through my album; just at that moment the photomontage of astonishing mountains came up and rolled over my eyes.

Now that, I’m sitting here and trying to describe the extraordinary grandeur of Kashmir, my words seems to fail me. To describe the comprehensive grandeur of that view is beyond my power. That’s why I’m trying to recollect every photograph and memoir of such a stunning destination.

Rather than going into deeper novelistic lines, allow me to drive you through the splendor destination.

Sonmarg (Meadow of Gold)

As the name says ‘Sonmarg’, is derived from ‘sona’ meaning gold and ‘marg’ meaning meadow. For that reason, it is also known as “Meadow of gold”. Comfortably nestled in the lap of the Himalayas, this “meadow of gold” offers everything that an adventure traveler could possibly want. This is an act with lots of thrill that is as much an adventure as it is a discovery.

Sonmarg
Sonmarg’s special

The 90 km drive from Srinagar to Sonmarg offers one of the spectacular beauty of nature. From the gorgeous peaks to rushing Sindh river, the towering alpine trees and gigantic snow cuddled -capped mountains make you like a Lilliput with no powers.

Sonmarg
Sindh river on the way of Sonmarg

The bracing climate of Sonmarg and the embracing mountains forms the base for some of the most hardened treks like Krishansar Lake trek, Vishansar Lake trek and many more. Again it is known for its worth-watching path to the sacred Amarnath Caves.

Sonmarg
Sign board welcoming us at magical Sonmarg

These mountains are placed thus, like the pillars of a gigantic gateway where one path leads you to Kargil and the other to rider’s paradise Leh.

Sonmarg
Welcome to the “meadow of gold”

Take a drive to Baltal Valley

Baltal Valley is known for the most scenic views and it is the starting point of one of the most (arduous) difficult trek ‘Zojila’. Just take a walk along the Valley and explore the untouched beauty of Sonmarg. Baltal Valley is situated at about 15 km from Sonmarg. During the time of “Amarnath Yatra” this valley serves as the base camp for every pilgrim. Pony service and helicopter services are also available during the Yatra.

Sonmarg-Baltal
Trek to Baltal valley starts from here
Baltal-Valley
Look at the way these trees are arranged by nature

Apart from these, there is still something so inexpressibly solemn and overpowering about the mountains, that it demonstrates the serenity of this picturesque place to every tourist or traveler. Have a look at the photographs and you’ll accept it.

Baltal-valley
Hire pony or horse and start the trek
Picturesque path to Baltal Valley
Baltal-Valley
Grab your bag brother we have to go
Sonmarg
Horses and Pony at Baltal Valley
Scenic view of Baltal Valley
Lots of tourists visit this mesmerizing snowy valley

I went further to escape this chaos….

Sonmarg
I went further to see such wanderlust
Looking more deeper in the Baltal valley in search of glacier
Timelapse heaven on earth – Poetry of nature
This is the real delight of Kashmir’s Baltal Valley
Kashmiri Hut in the middle of Baltal Paradise

Thajiwas Glacier

If you want to travel to the world of snow and lakes, than Thajiwas Glacier is a must to experience. People from all over the world come here for trekking and skiing. Thajiwas Glacier being one of the highest peaks in Kashmir is the major attraction of Sonmarg. The trek for Thajiwas starts at about 4 km from main Sonmarg market, and then you have to show your adventure spirit to trek for about 6 km to reach the main glacier. You can even hire a pony.

Thick snow all over the Thajiwas
Thajiwas
Miraculous or wonderlust – what to say about Thajiwas glacier
Tourists are enjoying sledding on Thajiwas glacier

The mountains of Thajiwas stood in an eerie silence, the only sound was that of melting water flowing beneath.

Spiritual glacial water flowing by the side of our trek
So where do I have a bad bath:

Unfortunately I couldn’t conquer the glacier completely as the weather condition didn’t support me. I had to return back half way. But the best part was the Indian army helping people to get back to the starting point.

This was the first time when I’m jealous of real aviator i.e. bird. They can fly high and conquer every mountain. Sometimes I wish I could be a bird, so that I can fly high and reach the top of the world.

Still I would say, believe me, what I saw during my trekking was so magical that is just got tattooed in my mind.

Sun rays kissing thick layer of snow flakes on mountains

Tip:

Avoid ponies or horses at Sonmarg. Ride can be expensive and some touts will misguide you by saying, it’s a 10 km rugged walkway and slippery where only horses can pass. You can hire a guide and trust me every trek in Sonmarg can be conquered comfortably. Also, you can have the best experience only when you are doing trekking. Walking through heavenly mountains lasts 90 min and you won’t even realize when it’s over.

Therefore, walking through the valleys of Sonmarg is like you are walking in heaven as whenever you walk on snow it seems like you are walking on clouds. There are lot more things to do in Sonmarg. I hope Kashmir will again call me to do more exciting adventure.

In the end, i would like to say: Kashmir is the pleasantest sensation of India and the world.

Follow me on Instagram, pinterest and Facebook. Tweet me on Twitter

1. eclectickristal

I have not ever seem snow before. But I do have a trip planned for December so hopefully that changes. And I get to see snow.

Best wishes for your trip Kristal!

2. lucicoo

That looks so beautiful, it doesn’t even look real.

Haha…it is real! Thanks a lot Lucicoo!

3. Shevoneese

The Sonmarg valley in Kashmir looks so breathtaking. I’ve never heard of it before though. Looks like great adventures can be had there.

I hope you enjoyed it. Thanks a lot, Shev! Yes, it was actually a adventure out there.

4. Melanie Poulos Walsh

Growing up, my parents took us to the San Bernadino Mountains a few times a year. The trips cemented my love for the trees. These are so gorgeous!

Haha..nice thing! Truly nature presents such things which get cemented in our head. Thanks for sharing your experience.

5. Radif Rahman

Travelling is my hobby, good to see your post, very informative and I think you had so much fun.

Yaa, seriously I had a great fun out there. It is simply a heaven on earth. Good to know that you love travelling.

6. Jojo Hua

Wow, this place looks amazing. I especially love the contrast between the ice and the green green grass 🙂

Thanks, Jojo. Yes, same as me. Even I like the contrast and that’s why I went on to click the picture.

7. Ebrian Fox

Wow that’s an awesome experience. Never been to a snow mountain though.

Thanks a lot for commenting Ebrian!

8. Fred

Sho, dem mountains 😵

Haha… definitely. Thanks, Fred.

9. eclectickristal

This look so relaxing and I love watching these pictures and travelling through them.

10. Akshay Malhotra

No wonder Kashmir is one of the beautiful places to visit. Amazing pics, looks like you guys had an amazing fun. Everything is so well described, thank you for sharing the experience with us 🙂

THanks, Akshay for your kind words. I’m glad you like it.

11. Fashionable Librarian

I feel myself relaxing just looking at these pictures. This is so serene, and awesome

12. Oursamyatra

The real beauty. The heaven of India. Love to read this post.

Thanks a lot for liking it.

13. amandakrill

The world is so full of amazing places that I didn’t even know existed! Great pics!

Thanks a lot Amanda! There are places we don’t even know exist. A lot of places to discover in this short span of life.

14. Shell

Thanks for sharing these beautiful and gorgeous photographs!!! This looks like such an amazing place to visit!

Yes, it is an amazing place to visit.

15. Leaves, Loaves, and Life

Your pictures are amazing. That is a very beautiful place. Looks like an awesome adventure.

Thank you so much for liking my photos. Yes, it was the best one.

16. MarciaF

What beautiful pictures. Seeing is so much better than just reading about it.

17. lavandamichelle

Amazing pictures, I feel as if I was there.

18. Adventuring The Great Wide Somewhere

I grew up in a mountainous region and will always be a sucker for gorgeous views like these! You say you can’t describe the beauty of these mountains, but I disagree! Nature can inspire the poet in all of us.

Haha… you are right! Nature inspires the poet in all of us. And I just thought that few mere words cannot describe such a grandeur.

19. prachi

lovely mountain and beautiful pictures

Thanks a lot Prachi. Loved to hear that.

20. Stylooo

Wow this is extremely lovely view. And specially that funny quotation.

Haha… thanks Stylooo!

21. The Belly Rules The Mind

This is an awesome place. I wish I had been there while I was in India. Hope I get an opportunity some day

Thanks a lot!! I’ll wish for you to visit India again

22. Nina

Those mountains do look beautiful. I love the contrast between snow and green. Amazing!

I seriously thank God for showing me such a contrast!! Thanks for the lovely comment Nina!!

23. DR

Some of the photos on here look incredible! what a captivating place that must have been, so peaceful and at one, away from all the noise. Always hoping to travel will be sure to go into the mountains around Kashmir.

Thanks DR!! Thanks for your comment. Certainly Kashmir always welcome travelers!!

24. joanna

The Sonmarg valley in Kashmir looks so pretty, with the snow still present on the mountains and the sunny valley at the bottom. I love hiking so I would definitely go up the trek, without a horse of course. I think it is cruel to use horses instead of just walking.

Thanks a lot for your comment Joanna!! I too prefer walking instead of hiring horse!!

25. alisonrost

I can’t imagine visiting a place so beautiful! Your photos are absolutely stunning. It’s amazing how there can be green grasses as well as snow filled glaciers. Thank-you for sharing it with all of us!

Thanks a lot Alisonrost! I’m glad that you like my photographs. Off-course, the presence of grasses and snow together makes it a magnificent destination!!

26. Carol Cassara

Wow! It’s quite a journey but it’s definitely worth it. I wouldn’t mind going through different terrains to spend some time in this beautiful place.

Definitely, such terrains are worth watching and spending time at such places feels us with positive vibes!! Thanks for your valuable comment.

27. Elizabeth O.

This is my first time hearing about Sonmarg and I am delighted that I learned more about it here. I think it’s beautiful and it’s definitely worth the journey.

Ohh really Elizabeth! Then I’m happy to share Sonmarg experience with you! Thanks for your comment!

28. raisingyourpetsnaturally

Impressive all around. So beautiful. I would love to take that adventure, but I definitely would need the help of the horses.

Thank you very much! Actually horses are one of the attraction and riding horses is an adventure there. I’ll suggest you to plan your next trip to Sonmarg.

29. Ana De-Jesus

I love how Batal Valley is like a sub climate of different seasons. From the lush green vegetation to the glaciers, Sonmarg is beautiful x

It is true! Sonmarg has everything in it, makes it the best!!

30. Five Little Doves

Oh wow what gorgeous photographs! I have never visited this part of the world but the views look spectacular!!

Yes Sonmarg is totally a heaven on earth!! It will not disappoint you.. You should visit it atleast once!!

31. Swati

Kashmir is mesmerizing and your pictures do complete justice ! Thanks for sharing. When did you visit ?

Thanks a lot for such a lovely comment Swati! I’m grateful to hear that, I always try to snap every moment that I experiences.
      I’ve visited it two years back, 2015. But seriously, in these two years it has become much more beautiful!!!

32. Anurag Singh

The content material is really enriching. The pictures are just eye catching, especially those of mountains ans snow !! MASHALLAHH !!

Yes! You should visit Kashmir. It’s every scenery is so catchy, it will just capture your soul!

33. Oshonic sharma

Ye haseen wadiya….orr unki afreen tasveere…great work roadaviator…

Ohh! Thank you so much Oshonic! Really afreen tasveere!

34. Kaustubh

Beautiful pictures and well written! Nice blog! This blog is soon becoming my weekly necessity!

Thanks a lot Kaustubh! Thanks for your wonderful words! I’ll try to engage you always!

35. Karan

Kashmir tujhse mohabbat kaise naa ho?

1. Oshonic sharma

Kashmeer….!!!

Ye masla dil ka hai “Karan sir” kaise hal hoga! Ye dard-e-mohhabat bhi Kashmir ban gaya hai!