Mumbai travel guide

Mumbai travel guide series: Best of Mumbai part 1

Just after my college exams were over, I had to set up a tour to Mumbai to commence Mumbai travel series for “roadaviator”. Also in addition to that, my college faculty is getting married in Mumbai. Therefore a wedding event was also lined up in Mumbai which was “icing on the cake”. So I Finally planned a Mumbai trip with two of my friends to accompanying me in the wedding event. In this trip my Nikon Nikon D5300 24.2MP Digital SLR Camera  has played a crucial role and helped me in writing Mumbai travel guide.

Mumbai is the largest city in India and maybe the most populated city of India. Mumbaikars calls it with many synonyms. They call it as a city of dreams especially relevant term for many Indians, as people across India travel here to try their luck to get indulge in its fast-pace and futuristic life. Another thing is that, it is one of the fascinating and diverse cities of India which has dual character; it is materialistic as much as it is ground with the culture and tradition and spirituality of India.

Most of all, Mumbai is also known for Bollywood (meaning India’s Film-city) – one of the largest entertainment sources in the world. Most noteworthy is that, people across India comes here to see especially Bollywood stars like the legend Amitabh Bachchan, Shahrukh Khan, Salman khan and many more.

Jaipur to Bandra (Mumbai) train
Thanks Rajaram
Welcome to Mumbai – Written in Hindi

I think Mumbai is probably a complete magnificent state to visit. There is lot more things to do in Mumbai. So lets start or Mumbai travel guide

Mumbai travel Guide:

Gateway of India:

Gateway of India is the most important part of India’s history, as it was constructed in 1924 to welcome King George V and Queen Mary to Bombay. It also symbolizes the spirit of Mumbai as its structure resembles the architectural style of Hindu and Muslim both. Now a days it is one of the most visited sights of Mumbai. Another thing is, you will find many Indian and foreign travelers, photographers are enjoying best time of their life.

I had the most cherish moment of my life while visiting this lovely paradise.

Angled view of famous monument of India – Gateway of India

My highest respect to eternal Gateway of India, I bow down because of the situation it handed (26/11). Even if Mumbai had that infamous 26/11 terrorist attack, the tourist’s footfall has never decreased, rather it has increased. You can visit it throughout the year. Yet I would recommend to not travel especially between May to July, it is quite humid and rain is probable.

Mumbai is known for Chattrapati Shivaji Maharaj (King)

Beside these things, there is also luxurious Taj hotel and Tajmahal Palace hotel near Gateway of India to see.

5 Star Taj Hotel
Exceptional view of 5 star Taj hotel
Captioning Me and Taj hotel
A lot of ferries and ships gathered at Gateway of India

Elephanta Cave – paradise for history lover

9 km northeastern side of Gateway of India, in the middle of Mumbai harbor there is another spectacular paradise waiting for you. Yes! It is UNESCO World Heritage site – Elephanta caves at Elephanta Island. Infact, Elephanta Cave is found to be in top most visit list of Mumbai travel guide. Therefore, you will find many ferries plying between Gateway of India to Elephanta island through the deep waters of Arabian Sea. It is a 1-hour ferry ride which will show you the spectacular view of Gateway of India and Taj hotel, harbor and ships. Furthermore, watching the flocks of seagulls-birds is an experience in itself. My Camera Nikon D5300 will say it all about elephanta caves.

View of Gateway of India from Ferry
View of Taj Hotel, Taj Mahal Hotel and Gateway of India
Creating stories with friends and historic monument
It requires lot of patients to capture Seagull bird
You will see a lot of ships sailing on the Arabian sea

Ferry rides runs between 9:00 AM to 5:30 AM and the ticket cost is Rs. 180 per person. May be you have to give another Rs. 10 for upper deck seat.

Finally, a short toy train will take you to cave’s small market…

Toy train to a small market – the way to Elephanta caves
You will find lots of small small figures
Playing with My Nikon Camera shots and Market stalls selling artificial items
Wandering in Shopping market very close to caves
A complete amazing site for history lovers – Elephanta caves

Coming back to these caves, I think for a history and architecture lover this site has almost everything to remember. First of all, the Elephanta caves are known as “City of Caves” and are constructed in 6th century AD with finest rock-cut art. It has the masterpiece of Lord SadaShiva with Aghora and Vamadev on each side, Trimurti, Nataraja and many more carvings. But it is most noteworthy that there sculptures were destroyed during the Portuguese rule in mid 16th century.

Essence of Elephanta caves:

It is one of the best caves I have ever visited. Through the series of photographs you will get the essence of this holy cave.

Sculpture of Lord Shiva with followers at the entrance gate
Combining photo shots of 4 different sites at cave showing the splendor
A Traveler sees what he sees – the unaware paradise of these historic caves

Marine drive

Stretched along the 4 km long roadway, Marine drive looks almost like a C-shaped Queen’s necklace. Most of all, it is one of the most beautiful and popular tourist sites because this place shows a totally different Mumbai, a young Mumbai. So, you will find that many love stories starts from here (many couples roam around in the evening).

First of all, you just sit on the slab and look at the splendor waves hitting the tetrapods, consequently capture the essence mesmerizing sunset, feel the cool sea breeze on your face, you will want to lose everything and adore all the happiness around in yourself.

In addition to this experience, I gaze at the flickering Mumbai from marine drive and capture the memorable phenomenon of life.

Furthermore, with the photographic series you will probably fall in love with this city.

A different Marine drive view
Clicking the perfect view of Yatch sailing on Arabian Sea
This is how splendid Mumbai looks like from Marine drive
Probably this holy little crab is finding its way
The cure of everything is Salty water, you can play with it or shed your tears – the option is yours
A perfect sunset shot for my friend
I feel honored to capture such sunset at Marine drive
Finally, that’s the end of first part of Mumbai travel guide.

Hence, it seems like Mumbai always have something to offer whether it is sunset, or historic monuments, I’ll be there to capture it. I have lot more to share about Mumbai with you people. Have patients and very shortly I’ll publish some more great things to do in Mumbai.

Update: Please have a look at Best of Mumbai part 2 and Mumbai Shrine divine and street food. I would also like to thank Indian Holiday Destination website for liking this post and publishing it on their website.

Maybe you want to share something interesting regarding Mumbai just comment below?

Follow me on Instagram and facebook. Tweet me on twitter and if you have to share something in private then just email me on pgmoves@roadaviator.com

1. Via Bella

I would love to go to India some day! It looks absolutely beautiful!
    ~ http://viabella-thebeautifullife.blogspot.com/

Sure Via Bella!! India will make you fall in love with the country. If you start with Mumbai.. you’ll get the feel of real India.

2. The Belly Rules The Mind

yeh hai mumbai meri jaan! love this city. home is where the heart is. your pictures make me nostalgic. I was there in Jan this year doing the exact same thing.

Ohh My god! Your comment made my day!! I’m obliged with your thought.
      Mumbai meri jaan.

3. Denni

very beautiful pictures and story ! I always wanted to visit india , seems like a magical place to me

Yes it is magical place. You’ll love India guaranteed.. Thanks for your comment Denni!!

4. alisonrost

The company I work for has team members in India and I’m always fascinated by everything the country has to offer. I’d love to visit one day! (ps: Your photos are wonderful .. I feel like i’m taking a tour right alongside)

Sure sure!! You should visit India. You’ll fall in love with this country!!
      Actually you’ll get confused while planning, because there are so many beautiful places that it becomes difficult to choose any one Indian destination!! Best wishes for your India trip..
      And thanks for your compliment!!

5. Our Family World

I have a friend, an Indian national, who said I should visit her country sometime. Although she is from Chennai, she says there are so many nice things to see and do in Mumbai. I would love to see that “Gateway to India.” That would be such an experience!

Yes your Indian friend has said right!! You’ll fall in love with Mumbai and its historic places!! Gateway of India is eternal seriously.

6. Lindsey

Mumbai looks absolutely glorious, the architecture and all the history is totally mind-blowing. I do hope I get to visit one day.

Surely Mumbai is something that has to be visited at-least once in life!! It is a great blend of both Indian culture and modernity of western culture!!

7. Ana De-Jesus

I am actually a big fan of Bollywood culture and it is amazing that Mumbai is home to so many famous Bollywood stars. I really like the look of the caves as well they look incredible!

Thank you very much for your comment Ana De-Jesus! It’s good to hear, you like Bollywood!! And the caves are really interesting to see.. dedicated to Gautama Buddha.. shrine and peaceful.
      Thanks!!

8. Kirsten

This has definitely inspired me to save my money and try to get to Mumbai as soon as possible. The images are amazing!

Thanks for your comment Kirsten!! Mumbai is amazing.. it will not disappoint you!!

9. Marina Rosie

I really enjoyed reading this one Prateek, I’ve always wanted to go to mumbai! x
    Lots of love,
    Marina Rosie x

Thanks a lot for your beautiful comment Marina!! I’m grateful to hear that…

10. yogensarswat

Great Coverage !!

Thank you very much Yogen Sarswat!!

11. The Untourists

het nice one. You should also list down the great places to eat out in Mumbai.

Thanks The Untourists!! Yes off-course I’ll do that. By the way I’ve listed some of the best street foods of Mumbai.. Soon I’ll be sharing great places to eat..

12. Sophia

Hello Guys..
    Nice blog.. Good job.. Interesting post. Thank you so much for the information. It’s a great post…I love travelling and want to travel all over the world. Explore new places, adventurous things and many more. And photographs are just amazing. Keep writing !!!

Thanks a lot Sophia! I Wish you could travel all over the world..

13. Satyam Srivastava

I would like to know about the places where i can take my family on vacation near mumbai, at around a drive of 1-2 hours.

Mahabaleshwar, Lonavala and Matheran is the best I know. I hope i have answered your question. Have a safe travel!

14. Jayant Sharma

This is very awesome experience….
    I am also coming soon with my blog ..😜😜

Thanks a lot! Yes, surely you should too write about your photography experience. Good Luck!

15. Mumbai travel guide series: Best of Mumbai part 2 - Roadaviator

[…] span of time Mumbai has shown me the impregnable picture of its beauty. In my previous blog “Mumbai travel guide: Best of Mumbai part 1” I have shown you some of the best monuments and places to visit through photographic […]

16. VARUN JHA

Great sunset photography! Now I’m your fan!

17. anurag Singh

It was a good travel experience in Mumbai with you. You captured good photos of the monuments and the nature. Splendid!!

Thanks a lot Anurag Singh

18. Shubham Chadokar

A photo says more than thousand words! You’re photos proved it.

Thanks a lot Shubham Chadokar! Thanks for your kind words.

19. Pradeep

Nice blog bro…..always enjoy reading ….I’ll be waiting fr ur next blog

20. Raja Ram Choudhary

Very nice bro but meri ek hi pic

Thank you Raja Ram Choudhary! Check it once again you’ll find yourself!

21. Karan

Aamchi mumbai.

Absolutely Karan! Aamchi Mumbai!